Monday, August 20, 2007

27 February 2007

Well we got through our first night and we even slept. After having breakfast Josh, Angie, Grace, and I headed to town to get what we could get.

Tim stayed home with Lydia and Avalien. Josh went to get hardware and electronics with Grace and Angie and I went to the market and to the grocery store. I was surprised how little we could get compared to Nigeria and how much more it cost. The market had great fresh produce but there was little plastics and other buckets and such. The people were quiet and you don't barter for things. I am shocked that almost every shop owner in Soroti is from India. I can't believe it. There is a real Indian influence here with food and temples. Angie always loved Indian culture. Maybe this is God's way of answering. There are a lot of bikes in town and a few cars. It is mostly quiet and clean.

The rest of the day was spent unpacking (with no where to put it), cleaning, the guys running here and there getting things set up and meeting people, and watching the girls and trying to keep them happy. One of the Baptist missionaries offered to help us and took the guys around.

I began to worry we were spending all of this money getting everything and setting up and I wasn't going to be able to hack it here. Everyone reassured me that I can do it and that even if God has me here to pave the way for others it is worth it.

We decided going out to eat was a good idea for supper since we had no gas for our stove and not much food. We went to the Golden Arch Hotel for chicken and rice. It was nice to have somewhere to go out to and it was even cheap. It rained while we were eating and the night air was nice and cool. We gave the girls a bath by candle light and went to bed. We made it through another day. If nothing else I could stand in the shower tonight very thankful for our hot water. There is always something to be thankful for.

No comments: