Wednesday, August 29, 2007

August 23 -- Widows Conference

August 23 – Thursday

This week there is a widow’s conference in Soroti. Josh and I went yesterday with the girls to see it and bring encouragement. I was amazed -- 3,000 widows in one place. I never felt like such a celebrity. Every where we walked they would cheer and want to shake our hands. I think everyone should feel that special! It is humbling. I felt so blessed and so glad I could encourage them that much just by being there.

The place was packed and people were outside too. They saw us in the back and brought us to the front. It was so hot in there and the speakers were so loud. When we got there they were singing but by the time we got to our seats a lady was speaking. Lydia and Grace did pretty good seeing the lady spoke for over 30 minutes. Grace thought it was church and was asking for a sucker the whole time. After the speaker, Beatrice, the leader of the widow’s initiative, introduced us. Josh impressed all the ladies with his Ateso. I am so proud of him! Lydia surprised me. She sang “Joy to the World” for the women and said her Bible verse. The women loved it and cheered – okay they cheer after everything we say! Lydia did so well in her first speaking engagement. I also got to talk. I told the women how blessed I was by their welcome and shared with them how God has shown me over and over in His Word that He loves widows and orphans. I also encouraged them as mother that we have a high calling from God to raise our children in His love.

I was so excited about the ministry at the widow’s conference that I decided to go again today. We haven’t had much contact with Beatrice and the widow’s ministry but I am thankful for them and impressed with them. I hope I can encourage them in some way. They have a new hospice in town that I really want to see. Anyways, I went to the conference with a thank you card for Beatrice and a donation for the widows. I told Beatrice that so many widows come to us and ask us for help and we feel it is best to help through the widow’s ministry so we don’t have everyone knocking on our door. She was so thankful and got up in front of everyone to tell them. I was quite embarrassed. She said the money would be used for medicine for the sick widows. I told them that we didn’t give the money so you could thank us but to thank God. God has blessed us so we could bless them. I enjoyed watching some dancing and meeting a few people then I went home. What a blessing it is to bless others! God is good!

No comments: