Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Sept. 23 -- Josh's Journal

September 23, 2007
Happy Birthday Dad! I hope you have a good day tomorrow.
I am sorry I have not written lately. I have been behind at school so every spare moment has gone to writing lessons. I frequently finished my lessons minutes before I had to leave lately. On more than one occasion, I have done the study before class, then had to copy what was on the black board the same time the students did so I could come home and type the outline. We have one more lesson on 1 Timothy on Tuesday, then the exam is scheduled for Wednesday. The students all tell me the term is over this week, but the principle is not yet sure when the term will finish…I think he might know something they don’t know, but then again, he might be surprised. However, despite the late nights, early mornings, and tiredness I still enjoy teaching. Two of the students were talking with me after class Friday and they told me I make the Bible easy to understand - I think that is about the biggest compliment I could get from a student.
The Old Testament came to life one day last month. “If you dig a pit and your neighbor’s ox falls into it and dies, you replace the ox.” (Mandy was reminded of Jesus words, “If your ox falls into a pit on the Sabbath, won’t you pull it out that very day.”) We woke up a few Sundays ago and someone ox had fallen into our burn pit (six feet deep). A while back a sheep fell in, but sheep are not so bright. I am not sure how they got it out, but by the time we were ready for church, it was happily grazing. That week I was putting up a barbed-wire fence around the pit when many of the neighbors came to thank me. One even added he was glad I did it before a drunk fell into the pit.
Yesterday was an unusually bad day. We wanted to go swimming in Mbale. The highway connecting Soroti to the outside world has been washed away by the flood (likely won’t be fixed until dry season in January. When we came home from Kampala last week the water was right up to the bottom of the doors. Apparently the ash fault has been washed away since that time.) therefore, we had to try a new route. This route added about 1 ½ hours to a trip that normally takes about 1 hour and 15 minutes. Imagine driving to Mackinaw when I-75 is closed and the only other route is past Bohning and through Vanderbuilt. Gravel for the first 90 minutes. When we finally got to Mbale, the pool was closed because some wedding celebration had rented the entire area. Therefore, we decided to go to a good restaurant. That was also a bust. First, “we only have fillet steak and fish.” Then “I know you ordered 4 bottles of water, but we only have two. Would you like cokes instead?” Then, “I know you wanted 2 cokes, but we only had one left.” Then, “You food is almost ready” (after we had already waited two hours). After we finally ate (it was good), we went to our favorite grocery store. We drove up just in time to see them locking the doors -- closing early today. When we got home - no electricity, no running water (have not had either of them yet). I started the generator, within 60 seconds the lights flickered and went out. I checked the extension cord - smoke (not supposed to be smoking). Thankfully, I had an extra plug so I could switch it.
Mandy’s parents are enjoying time with grandkids. Their time there is half done. We are enjoying our time with them, but have to leave Thursday. Bad: we have to drive that dreaded gravel road again. Good: I am looking forward to going rafting

1 comment:

John Buteyn said...

Glad to hear that your teaching is going well. It is always a blessing when students appreciate your teaching as yours do. I hope that they are being well prepared for ministry.
You have to laugh about your daytrip to Mbale, otherwise you would just cry. Actually, it sort of sounds like taking all of the normal inconveniences and putting them all on one day. Hang in there. Enjoy the rafting!!