Sunday, January 31, 2010

A New Baby


January 29

So much to write about lately. Today our watchman’s wife had a baby girl (okay second wife – and he is old enough this should be his grandbaby but we wont go there). I just returned from the hospital where I held their one hour old baby. They named her Mandy. She is just under 6lbs. So precious! Every time I see a newborn I am just amazed by the miracle. She was just in her mother now I am holding her – a perfect little human.

I also sat there thinking how do these women do it. John’s wife was lying on a mat on the floor (after JUST giving birth!) because all the beds were full. There were women everywhere – NO PRIVACY. One mother had made a “tent” around the bed trying to bath her daughter who just gave birth. Ladies can you even imagine?! There is no care unless your family comes to care for you. It is no wonder so many women die. There are no doctors around. And unlike our hospitals, churches, stores, school…there was no hand sanitizer to be found. I live here in Africa and these things still blow me away. Every time I am struck by it all. I would much rather give birth at home. I simply can’t imagine no shower after giving birth, no help, lying on the ground, strangers all around me… We have nothing to complain about, do we.

No comments: