Friday, July 29, 2011

Our Colorado Trip

July 23

Well I am writing on the airplane as Josh & I are now flying back to Michigan. What an awesome vacation together! It was a true gift from God. As I took in the majesty of the mountains all around us in Colorado I just felt loved by God. What a Creator!

Ok I have to back up a minute. Almost a year ago International Teams wrote to all their missionaries and said there was a couple who have a cabin in Colorado and would like to give it to seven missionaries for one week each. Long story short we were giving one of the weeks. We have enough miles for free flights but unfortunately those tickets were all gone by the time we looked into it. We almost canceled the whole thing but prayed about it and felt we should still go. We decided since our kids are still young and wouldn’t appreciate the mountains yet to go on a 12th anniversary honeymoon and leave the kids with grandpa and grandma (everyone was happy that way!).

We were not excited about traveling so soon after arriving in Michigan but it was the week we were given. We flew into Colorado Springs and drove to Crested Butte. It was a beautiful drive. We arrived at our cabin in the evening and were thrilled. It was so nice! What generous people to share it with so many missionaries each year. (They use it about two weeks a year then let missionaries use it the rest of the year.) The views from the cabin were amazing. I was so excited. The owners told us there was wild life out the window and up the mountain the cabin was on (actually we had to keep windows closed at night because of bears). So Josh and I drove up the mountain most mornings and every evening looking. Crazy to some but we enjoy it. Animals were rare and very timid but we did see mule deer (a couple big bucks!), elk in the distance, and a bear almost at dark.

The best part of the trip - other than being together of course - was the mountains. I could not get over them. Coming from Michigan and Uganda it is breath taking. We rode the chair lift up Mt. Crested Butte to 11,000 and some feet (and I hate heights!) then climbed to almost 12,000ft. It was the best view!!! Mountains everywhere. God is beautiful. The next day we found a mountain and decided to start climbing it. I was nervous at first but it was an easy (relatively speaking) climb and we only when to where we felt comfortable. We made it to the snow though. I absolutely loved sitting up there just my husband and I. It was peace. It was gorgeous. It was a special time with Josh. I am just so thankful.

It was a great week together. Simply not having a schedule and being alone together was a treat. Then at the end of it all we are ready to broad our last flight from Denver to Grand Rapids and the airlines over books and asks for volunteers to stay back until tomorrow night. We called home to see how the kids were doing and if Grandma could handle another night. They gave us the ok so we offered to stay. We got $400 in tickets each to use in the next year, put up in a really nice hotel, and all our meals paid for! We couldn’t believe it. We started to second guess our decision when we later talked to Grace on the phone and she was crying so hard she couldn’t talk. She was missing us. But Grandma assured us they were fine (and she was after a good nigh sleep with Grandma). So thankful for their help and love. And Josh and I had a great night together on the airlines. Funny thing is we got more money for tickets plus everything else and spent less on our tickets to CO. What an unexpected blessing.

Guess that is as best as I can put it into words. We will land at midnight, drive up to Mc Bain, so we can wake up and drive to Gaylord to speak and preach. Bad planning I know. But worth it all. I love my husband and my Heavenly Father who loves us.

No comments: