Sunday, January 25, 2015

Finding Freedom

Sometimes the Spirit is so present I am overwhelmed with emotions.  Tears flowed down my cheeks as I saw God at work today.  I believe we are on the verge of God doing amazing things in and through our church in Obulle.  It is time for a harvest!

A year and a half ago we met a man in Obulle named Sam.  Sam worked everyday helping to build our house.  Sam stood out with his great smile and humble nature.  I would have thought he was a boy only to find out he is married and has six kids.  Since meeting Sam, Josh has been praying for him to know the Lord.  About two months ago our family visited Sam’s home.  We were able to meet his family, enjoy a meal, and share the Gospel with him and his wife.  Since then our family has been praying for Sam and his family to come to Christ.

Sam has been quite sick for months now.  His legs and hands are so weak he cannot drive the motorcycle he drives for work.  In his words he just sits at home.  He was sought help from doctors to witch craft only to remain in pain.  Our neighbor and church leader, Charles, knowing Sam needs spiritual healing has been meeting and sharing with Sam. 

Today Sam came to church for the first time.  And by no coincidence, today our church also began teaching on the 7 steps to Freedom in Christ.  From the songs, to testimonies of people going from bitterness to peace, to the fellowship of believers there was a common message of the freedom God can bring when you submit to Him and say no to the devil.  The first step for believes to live in the freedom Christ has given us is to repent and renounce the sin of worshipping anything other than God.  Yes, people in our church are saved by God’s grace but not everyone lives daily in Christ’s victory.  The beautiful sound of people repenting and dedicating themselves to the one true God makes me rejoice!  This is life!  This is what I want to be a part of and live for!  God’s kingdom coming!

Josh also gave an invitation to come to Christ for the first time, to repent and receive the free gift Jesus Christ offers all of us.  Sam was listening, and Sam came forward to ask Jesus into his life.  Alleluia!!!  I couldn’t hold back the tears as one sinner’s life was made new in Jesus.  God is here and this is where I want to be!  It is at these moments that I realize no treasures or pleasures of this world could compare to the joy of knowing and sharing Jesus. 

Sam was saved today and I had the privilege of being there.  There was no party after church and everyone went home as usual but I know Heaven is having a celebration.  I know our Father is smiling and satan is scared.  God is saving the lost and breaking the chains of sin that don’t belong on His children – Christ has set us free!  Change is coming for all those who submit to God and resist the devil – because then God comes near to us.

God reminded me today through His spirit what I need to be living for.  I had become confused, focused on myself and problems, looked to other things for joy…but today God worked in me: 
-A church member testifying about her life of bitterness and how God used Josh teaching God’s truth to free her and her husband.  They now live in peace even when troubles come.  
-Josh shared the story of our dear friend Maryomu in Nigeria and how God worked in her life.  Remembering how we got to see her move from hopelessness and bitterness to a life of joy and peace in the Lord made me cry.  I love Maryomu.  I miss all our brothers and sisters in the Lord in Mahula.  I am so thankful God allowed me to be apart of what He did in their lives. 
-Letting the Lord once again look inside me and show me where I needed to repent.  Letting go of things I gave some of the worship that only God deserves.  Only He can be on the throne.  God alone deserves my time, my thoughts, being my source of joy…  Repenting and submitting as a church is powerful.       
     
Pray for Sam.  Pray for him to grow every day in the Lord.  Pray that God heals his physical illness.  Pray that Esther, his wife, comes to know Jesus too.  Pray for our church as we submit to God and resist the devil.  That God will come near as we repent of sin, renounce evil, and dedicate ourselves to God.

The 7 Steps to Freedom in Christ:

  1. idolatry vs worship of God
  2. deception vs truth
  3. bitterness vs forgivness
  4. rebellion vs submission
  5. pride vs humility
  6. bondage vs freedom
  7. generational sin 

No comments: