Saturday, December 2, 2023

Homesick for where?


This week I received this devotional for missionary women through an group called Thrive and my dear mother sent it to me too.  I was very encouraged that someone understands and can put words to some of my feelings.  Although not all of mine is about family-sick, some of it very much is.  Like the author I have now served for over 20 years and it still is hard.  I struggle with being away especially for big life events, yet struggle with the thought of going back and living there too.  It always comes back to calling.  Being called by God somewhere doesn't make it easy, it just right.

The author suggests another article at the bottom so I read that too.  It is a really good article that puts into words why technology and things like facetiming are both a blessing and makes grieve.  It simply is not the same as a real relationship.  Talking or seeing family is different than being present with them.  So we mourn being far away.  Technology also keeps us connected to two worlds which makes focusing and living in one even harder.  The line I appreciate is, As we do in so much of life, we can mourn and rejoice at the same time.  You can read the article for yourself.  Over the years I have found it to be true.

Family-sick is a Real Thing

FAMILYCaring for aging parents long-distanceFeeling connected to those back homeTrust
Family-sick is a Real Thing
“So my spirit grows faint within me; my heart within me is dismayed. I remember the days of long ago; I meditate on all your works and consider what your hands have done.”
Psalms 143:4-5

By far one of the biggest challenges for me in following God’s call to global work was leaving our families. My husband and I grew up together, and both our families live in the same metroplex area. When we said our goodbyes, we were the first of either of our families (immediate and extended) to leave our corner of the world. And twenty years later, we are still the only ones who have left! 


Little did I know that that first goodbye would only be a snippet of the challenge of living far from loved ones. Each time we had a baby, I grieved the distance between our child and her/his relatives. When my father-in-law was diagnosed with early-onset Alzheimer’s, we struggled with knowing how to help or if we should move back. Every time a niece or nephew reached a milestone, I jealously longed to be the doting auntie in the midst of celebration.  


When I’ve struggled at these times, I’ve wondered what it might be like to move back near family. But then the Lord gently reminds me how He guided and directed every step of our journey here and how He narrowed our calling to this specific pin on Google Maps. If I try to imagine living near our families, my mind has difficulty conjuring up a picture of it. Nothing feels right about it. And, overwhelmingly, the Lord affirms that we are meant to be here, no matter how “family-sick” (like homesick but just for family) I may be.  


Recounting the number of times God has needed to remind me of our calling, I find comfort in knowing I am not alone in this. After God called Abram out of Ur, He proceeded to remind him no fewer than eight times of His promise. The man whose faith is highly revered in the New Testament had to be reminded of God’s calling on his life, repeatedly. That makes me feel a little better! 


God’s consistent reminders of our calling to global work has strengthened my faith and sanctified me. And I’ve discovered that being in the middle of God’s will is the best place to dwell.


CLOSING PRAYER
Father, please continue to strengthen our faith as you remind us of our calling, especially when we are missing loved ones. You are worthy of our rest and trust in Your calling on our lives. Amen.

No comments: