Monday, August 20, 2007

August 4, 2007 – Rafting the Nile River

So I have to tell you about our trip before I send this off. We left for Jinja on Sunday and stayed at the King Fisher Resort. When we got there it was raining so we went to see the falls where you white water raft. Tim and Josh were supposed to raft the Nile with John and Barb on Monday and Angie and I would go with Dad when he comes in September. Now, however, we were beginning to think that maybe Angie and I should go with Buytens so we could stay back with Mom and our kids and the guys go with Dad. I was in turmoil! Did I really want to raft the Nile River? There are 12 rapids and 6 of them are number 5 rapids – that is as high as it gets in difficulty! Everyone was telling me I would regret it if I didn’t and it was a chance of a life time. The falls we went to see looked big but do able and Angie said the last time they were there they watched rafters and only one person fell out. There are Ugandans there that go down the falls on a jery can if you pay them – really they do, we saw one.

We had a nice afternoon swimming in a beautiful pool and enjoying the landscape on Lake Victoria. It was a bit chilly but fun to be away with our family. We found a nice restaurant for supper – all out doors with lights. Angie finally decided to go rafting and after much agonizing I decided to go too.

What was I thinking?! I am a mother and I don’t even like adventure or anything with the word extreme – like extreme rafting. We got to the rafting/backpackers place at 9am and we felt out of place right away. Everyone was young (actually just acting young – they were in their late 20 or older), single, travelers, most from Europe, with heavy metal blaring on the radio. To top it off they had a rafting video playing with everyone flipping out of the boat – seriously the worst of the worst. We consoled ourselves that they only showed the worst or that we wouldn’t be going down those falls. Boy, were we wrong! We would be right there very soon. It was then that I remembered that I once said I would never raft the Nile. Who would? There are animals in there and the rafting companies logo is of a raft flipping over. Why was I now going? I paid money to do this. Oh, well it was too late to turn back…so away we went.

We ended up in a raft with a young married couple from CT who went to Wheaton and where visiting a seminary in Kenya. Our guide was Mr. Funny Man. He is Ugandan and loved to tease us. I don’t think he said one serious thing. He did keep us laughing. The first while he gave us all of our instructions, I think it is a bad sign when you have to practice tipping out of the raft, being under the boat, getting down, holding on, and floating down a rapids. I really should have had a clue but I really just thought it was all precaution. So he tipped the raft over and we were all swimming in the Nile. Of course the hard part is getting back in! Next we had to jump out and float through a grade 1 rapids. Great, that looked like fun I thought. I started out floating well then got sucked under into a whirlpool and thought I was going to die. I got so much water up my nose. I panicked and couldn’t breath. That is when I knew I was in for more than I imagined.

Our first rapids was a grade 3 and we had fun bobbing up and down through it. Right after that was our first grade 5 rapids. This was the falls we looked at the day before. My heart was racing. My prayer all day long was Lord just keep me in the boat. We paddled forward until just before we dropped into the big rapids and our guide yells, “Get down!” and we all get in the boat and hold on. We made it through and it was even fun! I was so excited. Until we got to the next grade 5 rapids and I realized I needed to get through five more of these.

Our next rapids half of our boat fell out including Angie (I stayed in). Angie came up in a daze and needed a minute before she could see or talk (she had contacts in). Then we hit the rapids where only 5% of the people stay in the boat. I did not want to do this! Sure enough our boat flipped. I am not sure what happened but I was under the boat for a little while downing down the rapids. I thought for sure I was going to die! I couldn’t find my way out and couldn’t breath because I was either under water or being pounded by the rapids. At that point I hated rafting, I was scared. A kayaker came to my rescue. I could see everyone from our raft except for Angie. I panicked and asked the kayaker where my sister was. He assured me she was okay. Soon we were all back in our raft and heading to the next rapids. I really thought I couldn’t do anymore, but what can you do in the middle of the Nile but finish.

The rest of the day went quite well. At one point you can choose to get out or go over a real waterfalls. I got out at first with Angie but once I realized that no one falls out I got back in the boat. (Can you believe it?!) Oh my word, have you ever gone over a falls? We were straight horizontal. I fall over onto someone but we made it over. I watched the boats that went after us and it is crazy how the boat just folds up as it hits the bottom.

After that we had an hour and a half of calm water. We had lunch on our raft (pineapple and cookies). We were all so cold. It was cloudy and thundering in the distance. I longed for tea and a hot shower. Four rapids remained after lunch. I fell out one more time on a grade ¾ rapids. This time I handled it just fine. The kayaker was right there to get me. John and our guide fell out too. Looking back we wonder if there wasn’t a threat of crocodiles at this point. All of the guides where in a hurry to get people out of the water and other guides where hitting the water with their paddles. Our guide teased us about crocodiles the whole trip so we don’t know what the fuss was all about. I was impressed with all of the guides. There were nine kayakers and everyone knew what they where doing.

By the end I was so tired, relieved, and cold. They served pop, water, and beer when we were done but I was too cold for anything. (But a lot of other people enjoyed their “free” beer.) We had a 45min. ride back on a truck. Then we were served a bar-b-q supper at their camp by the first rapids. At the end of the day I was amazed I did it and make it. Am I glad I went…I will be some day. I am glad I can say I rafted on the Nile River.

We spent the next couple days in Kampala getting visas (again), shopping, and getting Lydia’s last immunization. I was really sore two days after rafting and have my share of bruises. I guess that catches you up on everything. Sorry this journal is so long. I shouldn’t have much to say in August – maybe. I love you all! Thanks for reading this and sharing in my life here in Uganda.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just read this yesterday. It was great inspiration later as I prayed for a handicapped girl who is entering puberty.