Saturday, October 20, 2007

Sept/Oct catching up -- Mandy's

September
The day after my parents arrived we traveled out to Soroti. I think they were amazed by Africa again. I often forget how normal it has become to me living here. Although Uganda is a very nice country it is still Africa and that blows Americans away. The traffic (with no rules), people everywhere, crowded streets and markets, dirt, little shops of furniture, bananas, veggies, coffins, bikes, restaurants line the main roads. We took LOTS of pictures. I was happy to show them the beauty of the country. Green rolling hills of tea, sugar cane, tropical flowers, the Nile river and Lake Victoria, mountains. Our trip went well until we got to our bridge into Soroti. The road was covered in water. In less than one weeks time the water rose enough to reach the lights on our van. I couldn’t believe it. What would happen in two weeks?! We crossed safely but the paved road underneath us was no more than gravel now. We were thankful we made it home.

Our 10 days in Soroti with Mom and Dad were spent showing them around, meeting our friends, and spending time with their grandkids. After the initial shock of being here, I think they liked it and enjoyed it. They experienced really life here with no water and our electric out for a couple days. Oh the joys of bucket baths. What can you do? Everyone here was so happy to meet my parents. They were excited about their gifts too. When we took them to see Bethel Bible College for the first time Dad thought it was an abandoned building. Nope, just a building waiting to be finished. I think they fell in love with the kids at Amecet too. Dad put Hellena to sleep and Mom got to know little Simon. Dad and Mom even enjoyed the local food they had – beans and rice, greens (dodo), posho, and abo (peanut soup). They went to the orchard that Josh helped plant for the blind, visited Moses’ family in the village, went to market several times, met the people at SACAB (the blind), got to know Kristine, Sam, Dennis, our neighbors, Pastor Francis and Maggie, and Pastor Patrick and Florence. We went to Mbale on Saturday but I wont go into detail about that because it was a bomb. The bridge was out so it took over two hours to get there, the pool was closed, and it took almost three hours to get our food at the restaurant. Enough said about that long day in the car. They worshiped at our church with us on Sunday. What else did we do? We had a nice supper at the Manes, our missionary friends. Played horseshoes and other games, and spent a lot of precious time with the grandkids!

I am not sure the girls got over that Grandpa and Grandma were really here the whole time. They just ate up their time with them. Lydia loved here afternoon time with them when the little ones were napping. She played dolls with Grandpa, watched Veggie Tales, played games and did crafts with Grandma, and talked a lot. Grandma liked her naps with Gracie too. Grandpa and Grandma read many books with both girls. Grandma had to sit by Lydia when we ate, road in the car, and was on her lap otherwise. I don’t think Dad or Mom will ever forget Gracie’s, “Uhu” answer for almost everything. They also fell in love with her new grandson, Moses. He was Grandpa’s little buddy. I know I was thankful to have grandparents around for awhile. They were so much help with the girls. But most of all I treasure the precious memories of them with their grandkids.

We had an early birthday party for Grace while Dad and Mom were here. We had our friends Sam, Dennis, and Tabitha join us. I made her number 2 birthday cake, we put on our party hats, blow up balloons, had presents, and sang. Happy second birthday Grace! We love you!!!

Did I mention all they brought for us? Thank you everyone! What a overwhelming blessing to have so many treats and gifts. I think we are stocked on some things for a while. The best part is to know we are remembered and loved by all of you.

Dad and Mom were also given many gifts. At the orange orchard they gave Mom a homemade broom, eggs, and a live chicken. Wow! Lydia told Grandma, “My mom is not going to be happy. She is going to be so mad. She does not like chickens.” And she was seriously concerned about me not being happy. What silly little girl – how funny. They gave them corn and peanuts at Moses village. And Francis and Maggie gave them a card and a beautiful necklace. How nice of everyone to give them so much.

Dad and Mom did bring me to tears talking about their concern for me. They could see a change in me and that I wasn’t the normal happy Mandy again (like in Nigeria). I felt it too. I know I have been struggling. They thought I should try going off of my anti-malarial medicine. It is the one thing that I take and changes when I am on the mission field and it can have these side effects. I will try anything. I felt really bad for how I had been – crabby. I hope it is the medicine and I can feel better again. (If it is, I will feel bad I wasted so many years on something that made me into someone I didn’t want to be but I will also be glad I finally found out and changed.)

Our last night came too quickly. We had a nice meal at Soroti Hotel. By this time we were very worried about traveling. The bridge on the other road out now had water over it. Would we get out? Would we get back in? I am thankful there is an airport in Soroti.

September/October
We made it over the bridge and arrived in Jinja safely an answer to prayer. We stayed at the Kingfisher Resort. It felt like a resort too. The beautiful trees and flowers, Lake Victoria, the pool…I couldn’t ask for more. What fun! It was a beautiful sunny day and all enjoyed swimming all afternoon. The girls love swimming and the slide there. I even enjoyed swimming for the first time in a while. I love not being cold in the water. We also took a boat ride on Lake Victoria to the source of the Nile.

The next day the guys rafted the Nile! I will let Josh fill you in on all of that but they did have fun and would go again. They also agreed it was extreme and even Tim did not enjoy being under the boat breathing in water. On the way to rafting they saw crocodiles in the river – not a comforting feeling! The rafting company assured them there aren’t many and they leave humans alone – at least during the day. I prayed for them all day! We had another wonderful sunny day. The girls and I swam from 9:30am to 3:30 in the afternoon. (Ok, Grace took a nap in there and we had lunch.) I had a very fun and relaxing day with my girls. I felt like I was on a real vacation. We picked up the guys in the late afternoon and had a nice supper overlooking the Nile. We even saw monkeys.

The next day we were off to Kampala, our last leg of Dad and Mom’s trip. Kampala seemed busier than ever and we got stuck in way too many traffic jams. We did manage to get to the craft market and shop for a while. We had supper at Garden Cities (the mall) food court. Yummy! The next we went to church at the Heritage International School. I loved the worship once again and the sermon was great. Lydia woke up asking if we could go to the church with a nursery (children’s church). It is so nice to worship in a normal setting for us – without kids! After church we decided to check out Didi’s World – the Disney World of Uganda. We had SO much fun! They didn’t have a ton of rides but what they did have the kids loved. It just felt normal and it brought me back to my childhood. Grace loved riding the horse (merry-go-round) and the trucks. Lydia rode her first little roller coaster with Avalien. I wish you could have seen their faces. They loved it and had big smiles to show it. Lydia and I had fun on the bumper cars but Josh and Grace had to stay put because Grace did not like it. Josh got to go on the water slides. He was like a little boy. He loves water slides. Can you believe water slides in Uganda? Let’s just say there aren’t lifeguards on duty like in America. Dad, Mom, Angie, and I went on the swinging pirate ship. I never laughed so hard. They are so funny. What a FUN day with the family! I can’t wait to go back.

The girls then took a nap as we headed to Entebbe to the zoo and airport. The girls enjoyed showing Grandpa and Grandma the zoo. The even got to touch the rhino’s horn. We had a nice supper together by the pool at a hotel. Then the dreaded time came, time to say goodbye. I didn’t think it would be bad because we get to see them in eight weeks again, but as always the tears came. I guess it will always happen when you love people. The saddest part was the girls. I looked back at them to see pouty little lips and sad faces. Grace kept saying, “Go with Grandma. They come back?” We hugged, sent them through the gate, and waved goodbye. I am so thankful it is never as hard as it was that first time in Nigeria. I have my family with me now. Lydia and Grace held each others hands for comfort on the way back. Lydia held on to her mints Grandma gave here like a treasured prize. We are so thankful Dad and Mom came. What a blessed time together and what special memories we have.

The last thing we needed on the way back to Kampala was a traffic jam, but that is exactly what we got. A three hour one! Talk about frustrating. We were trapped and all we could do was sit and wait. (By the way you can get really mad when the two lane road becomes five lane mess!)

Tim and Angie had to do some immigration work so Josh and I decided to try out a new hotel outside of town and have a two day vacation with our girls. We stayed at the Colline Hotel. It was nice and we were able to swim and even watch Monday night football on ESPN. On Wednesday we traveled back to Soroti all together. We didn’t know if we would be able to cross the bridge but all we could do is try. We were able to cross but I was scared. There was about 8in. of water over the bridge and the road just before was even worse. I do not crossing over a bridge that you wouldn’t even know was there if the poles weren’t showing. The water was flowing too. Oh, thank you God for keeping us safe! (Who know what will happen come the end of November when we need to leave again.) In one weeks time there was so much more water again. Now not only were the trees and what should be dry land underwater but now we saw huts surrounded by water. I can’t imagine if that was my home. What would you do? How would you feel? Where would you go? I was more than ever thankful to arrive home. Home to my beautiful, safe house. Lord, you have blessed me so much.

No comments: