Saturday, August 23, 2008

Josh's Journal Aug. 21

August 21, 2008
As I write this we are stuck in Kampala waiting for the immigration work to take place, trying to maintain legal status here in Uganda. I find this process so frustrating, but was reminded a couple months ago that this too is part of responding to God’s call to missions. Over the course of Tuesday and Wednesday, I went to the immigration window 6 times. Each time they managed to notice one more thing that was incorrect or missing. Wednesday they finally accepted my pile of papers, but noticed that Lydia is 5 years old, which means she needs a pupil’s pass instead of a dependent’s pass like Mandy and Grace get. I can apply for the dependents’ passes the same time I apply for my own, but can’t apply for a pupil’s pass until my own work visa has been approved. They said they would make their decision on my own application by Monday. If they approve me I can go to the bank and pay (Uganda does not trust its own government employees with money) then jump through the next hoop. As you can tell I am very frustrated. I have not shared half the details of frustration and helplessness I feel when I deal with the man behind the bars (I think I know why he sits behind a window with bars). However, today I read from Psalm 3 and 4 – I was comforted that God is in control. He is with me. He also sees everything that is being done. Those passages gave me strength to persevere doing things God’s way (it would be cheaper to slide money through that barred window than to keep paying to stay here in Kampala.)

I do think I should also give praise to God for one specific way He provided during my struggles in the immigration office. I needed a copy of the renewed certificate of our NGO here in Uganda. Last year we (Tim and I) went to the NGO office to try to check to see if the NGO papers were complete. The NGO office said we needed letters from our chairman to receive any answers from the office. So this year when the immigration office said I needed this certificate from the NGO office my heart sank. Our NGO chairman is in Soroti – a looong way from Kampala. I decided to try going to the NGO office since it was 200 yards from the immigration office. I prayed before entering. The receptionist sent me back outside and said to try 2 doors further down. That door was locked. At this point I felt like I was being given the run around. However, I could here a woman inside talking so I decided to wait. After about 20 minutes the door opened and I was invited inside. I explained my situation to the woman inside who then became annoyed with the receptionist for not getting me the certificate herself. She told the receptionist to bring our NGO folder. When the woman in charge opened our folder, a photocopy of my passport was the very top sheet of paper. From that point on she was calling me by my first name and within 2 minutes I had the paper I needed. Now I needed photocopy. The immigration office has added a photocopy booth (I guess that is a second way God provided.) Anyway, I don’t feel I adequately communicate the way God worked for you to fully understand, but let me tell you – it was obvious to me.

So now we are in Kampala…waiting. We went with Mandy to get a 3D ultrasound yesterday. We have some amazing photographs of the baby. I was amazed. Is it a boy or a girl? You all will have to wait and see because we didn’t find out. Today we went to the dentist. It was a bit different than in the USA. The cleaning was not quite as thorough (they did not floss our teeth), but it was only $55. After that we went and bought a wireless modem that will work in Soroti. We are so excited. We now have internet access right at home. I know, it doesn’t make sense: we had to come to Kampala to buy a wireless modem through a cell phone company to use in Soroti – but they do not sell them anywhere else.

Last weekend we had a wonderful Safari at Murchison Falls in Western Uganda. The roads getting to the park were TERRIBLE!!! It took us three hours to go the first 65 miles, and not because of heavy traffic. Once we entered the forest preserve at the edge of the park the road was very good; however, our van started having trouble. We were back firing, something was missing, at times it almost felt like we were out of gas, there was no power. We stopped in the little town where the gate was to enter the park. I asked if there was a mechanic; the men pointed to a gravel parking lot with 4 broken tractors sitting in it. Someone ran to find him. About 5 minutes later he came; through an interpreter (don’t forget that) I explained what had happened. He came out of his storage shed with two wrenches and a rope. He was ready to remove my driver’s seat (in my van the engine is under the seats) but then I showed him how to move the passenger seat without taking all the bolts out – oh no, I was not feeling too confident at this point. When I did that he put his two wrenches down and was left with only the rope. About that time a second man decided to help, he appeared to know a thing or two so I did not object. Using only the rope they removed our fuel filter. They then took the fuel filter apart and washed it out. Then they put it back in. A test drive later and I was convinced they had solved the problem. When it was time to negotiate the price, the mechanic could do his own talking – no need for an interpreter. However, the interpreter also wanted me to pay him. It was quite a trip.

Inside the park was simply amazing! Hundreds of animals. Hartebeast, Ugandan kob, oribis, (those are all in the deer family). We saw warthogs. We saw groups of water buffaloes. I did not get too much time to enjoy them because they look like a small tank with a bad attitude and Mandy was quite nervous. They were only about 10 from the road and took the “charge” position as soon as I slowed down. We saw many giraffes (thank God for digital cameras – we have nearly a hundred giraffe pictures.) At one point we were right in the midst of a herd with babies – it is strange calling an animal that is 6 feet tall a baby. Our girls loved it. We also saw a leopard in a tree. Later we saw two lions. We saw 40-50 elephants, but none closer than 400 yards away. The second afternoon we took a boat tour on the Nile river. Hundreds of hippos! I was simply amazed at the number of animals. I asked the guides if they open the park to hunting to limit the number of animals (since it is not good to exceed the carrying capacity). He said they are still trying to increase the number of animals. What made the safari so fun was the cost. It was quite affordable. Our room was only $30 / night (granted we had to share two single beds for our family of 4). Food averaged about $5 per person per meal. We got into the park for $20 per person. Other than that it was only gas and paying for the boat rides. If you ever want to join us, the guide said that the best months for seeing animals are April and May or early June. The invitation is there.

August 22
Today things improved in terms of the immigration process. I went to the office this morning and our special passes (which give us three months to process our work permits) were ready for me to go to the bank to pay. However, instead of going directly to pay for them, I decided to take the approved form to the students pass line to try to start Lydia’s process. I was hoping to get it started so that by some miracle it could be finished by Monday. The lady behind the barred window saw we were from Soroti and asked which part we came from. Turns out she also came from Soroti and is Iteso by tribe. I greeted her in Ateso, she greeted me back in Ateso. Then she asked me a few questions in Ateso to which I actually new the answers (thank God). By now the whole office was laughing. She said to the work permit officer, “he is white, but he is one of my people.” Then I asked her if she could make it possible for me to get a bank bill so I could pay for Lydia’s student pass the same time I paid for the rest of the family. She said it was not possible until the application had been processed; however, I should just wait outside. Five minutes later she came outside and the application had been processed. I was able to pay and return them to the office immediately after lunch I brought them back. The officer said to come back by 5:00 to pick them up. I went about 4:00 and got them. The kind woman from Soroti also agreed to check up on my work permit application for me. I have to call her in three weeks to seek if it is finished. That woman was truly an answer from prayer and a gift from God.

No comments: