Thursday, October 30, 2008

Indian Celebration

Oct. 29
Josh traveled to Kampala and back on Monday. What a trip! Josh got up just after 3am to take the 4am bus to Kampala. It was the first time any of us took the bus so we did a lot of praying. He got to Kampala around 10am and headed right to immigrations. Then to the bank to pay for our three year work permit or visa. By the time he was done at the bank it was after 12pm. The immigration office told him it would be three days before the passports would be signed. Josh tried to get them to just do it a minute but they went on lunch break instead. Josh talked to the lady in the other office he now knows and she talked to the people over lunch and got them to agree to stamp the passports that day. By 4:30pm Josh was finally heading back to Soroti with stamped passports. Praise God! The only nice part of the day for Josh was he got to have pizza and a milk shake. He didn’t get home until 11:30pm. It took more than four CROWDED taxis, a bus, a motorcycle, and many stops but he was home safe and sound. What an answer to prayer.

Last night we celebrated the New Year with our friends from India. Last year we missed it so this year they had us put it on our calendar a month in advance. We didn’t know what we were getting into or what to expect. We did know there would be fireworks. I even wore my outfit from India they gave me (I fit right in – almost). We went with our friends from the supermarket and as soon as we arrived the party started. The women led me and the girls into their Hindu temple. They rang a bell and prayed to their gods. The girls and I just stood there. They are very proud of their gods. I asked them why everyone rings the bell when they come in to pray. They told me it is so their gods know they have come. Interesting. I am thankful my God knows where I am at all times.

From the temple we went outside where the fireworks were going off. I think everyone brought a big bag full. There was everything from sparklers to big forth of July high in the air fireworks going off. It was loud. Grace had her ears covered from the first bang. The girls were nervous but we tried to sit further back and talk about how pretty it was. THEN, a couple fireworks must have fallen over and came toward everyone! Talk about terror. We ran for it. I don’t know if Lydia was hit but I know one hit my cheek (there was soot to prove it). I thought, “This must be what it feels like to be in the middle of a war.” It sounded like one! Our girls were panicked!!! Ok, Lydia was. Grace just buried her head as deep into Josh as she could while covering her ears. I really though we had damaged our kids. The few other women and kids that ran with us and then went back to their seats as the fireworks continued. But not us. Lydia wanted nothing to do with any of it and wanted to go home. Actually, she was crying for Grandma. Guess she didn’t trust us at this point anymore. We finally got them calmed down by sitting in the safety of the van. I really can’t blame them it was scary. I was so thankful they even ended up enjoying the fireworks from the van.

After an hour of fireworks (that is a lot of money), the show was over. Then everyone gathered to eat, women on one side and men on the other. We were the only non-Indian people there. There were about 90 people there (that is how many Indians live in Soroti). All of the ones we know were so excited we came. The women looked so beautiful in their India clothes. They know so little English so I mostly sat and watched. They are very kind to me. The food was really good but gets to be SO spicy. (Are my lips on fire?!) Josh loved the food and went up several times with the men. Lydia and Grace made friends with the other kids. I am always so proud of them when they join in when we are in foreign settings. The whole night was a cultural experience. I really enjoyed it. I feel like we got to know our friends better and made new friends. Now they really want us to come to India with them next year. Oh boy, that would be a cultural experience I may not be ready for. I am very thankful we could celebrate with them. We left for home at 10pm saying a prayer for all our Indian friends. As they celebrate their New Year with light may they come to know the true Light. Amen!

No comments: