Monday, October 13, 2008

Mandy's Journal Oct. 13

Oct. 12 2008

I probably will not write much this month seeing as though it is our last month here before we go on home service – things are busy! (Although, this is me do I ever say anything short?)

We had a wonderful time in Kampala last week. We stayed with our new friends the Munshaws and really enjoyed it. Lydia and Josiah played and played. I am so thankful for good friends. We ate a lot of good food together too. I saw the doctor and all is well praise the Lord. I have now gained over 10 pounds which at least the doctor was glad to see. We also got our air conditioner fixed in our van. Oh, how I love air – especially in Africa! Josh took us to the Speke Resort for a night. It was my mother’s day present I finally redeemed. I love that place. It is so much fun and so nice. The girls swam and swam. They also loved riding the horses once again. I love eating there. The atmosphere is wonderful and the food is fun. So we were all happy and thankful for our stay. What a treat! The only negative part of our trip to Kampala was that we did not get our work visas. They were supposed to be ready two weeks ago. These people really irritate me. I think they are hoping for something to hurry the posses because there is no reason why they shouldn’t be done. There is nothing we can do. Unfortunately, that means when ever they are ready Josh or all of us will have to make a trip back to Kampala to get them.

Oh, I forgot. We signed on the new house! We met the landlord in Kampala and finalized things with him. So when we return in March we will move in. I pray it all comes together because it has been a lot of work and stress. This week I have been getting the carpenter started, did a first cleaning with Tabitha, and talked to the plumber. I am glad we are only in charge of a few things. The landlord and the guy he has in charge here in Soroti are to get most of the work done. I picked out paint colors, which is quite a job for me. What if I made a mistake? I have to live with these decisions. And of course, you can’t get just the color you want here. The landlord isn’t sending the painter till November so I am a bit nervous because we will already be gone. Josh is stressed looking at the money situation. All the repairs are paid for by rent money but that means we had to give a bunch of rent money up front. Thankfully, we really do like the house. I am sure it will all be worth it.

Yesterday is Grace’s 3rd birthday! She knows she is three now but doesn’t seem to be too excited about it all. Lydia is more excited about the presents than her sister. We decorated the house and cake. Grace wanted tacos for supper. Tabitha’s kids came to eat cake with us. The grandparents and others called to wish Grace a happy birthday too. We are so thankful for Grace – a gift from God!

I was amazed to sit back and watch Tabitha’s kids here the other night. There are three girls ages 13, 11, and 10 and one boy about 4 years old. They were so excited over all the toys. The girls got all dressed up in Lydia and Grace’s jewelry and sunglasses, put on birthday hats, and read/looked at kids books. These kids have been abandoned by their mother and father, abused, and seen too much. They have a lot of hurt and anger. Last night I saw that they so badly just want to be kids. I realized how little I am doing to love them. Imagine a 13 year old girl playing like a little girl because she never got to be a little girl. Breaks my heart. I just found out the 11 year old girl was kidnapped at 6 years old and was going to be sacrificed. For some reason the man who took her didn’t do it but he did try to cut out her tongue and cut her by her throat. When they found her she was so traumatized she couldn’t speak for hours. The evil done to her and the hurt she has experienced shows now in her anger. She really needs our prayers. Pray with us for Tabitha’s nieces and nephew that she cares for.

At church today I realized how much I enjoy it now. I am thankful for the worship. When we sing about worshipping in front of God’s throne I can just imagine our church in front of God praising. There is a song they sing that says, “Only you Jesus, only you” and I think that just sums it all up for me. It is only for and because of Jesus that I live, that I am in Soroti serving, it is only Jesus who these people need, that I need, and He is the one who can do great things here and everywhere. I also thankful for Pastor Francis’ sermons. I am encouraged and challenged by them and get excited about the truth he is sharing with the church. Josh is doing a good work too with the children. Today he did the story of Jesus death and many kids received Christ. Praise God!

No comments: