Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Give Thanks











November 15

What a lot to be thankful for! There are big and little things every day that are worth giving thanks. Too easily I can compare, complain, and become ungrateful. But when I am a thankful person and focus on all the blessings in my life there is so much joy. God is too good not to be thankful. Here is a look at my week of thankfulness…

After church Sunday we had lunch with some of the church leaders. The Fishers from Hudsonville, MI are here visiting our team so I thought it would be a good time to share how God has changed the lives of these leaders and their families through Josh’s teaching on God’s Word. I asked the leaders to testify about God’s work in their marriages and families. Many of them said that before the training they regretted marrying their spouse and they had no relationship. They didn’t communicate with each other. But after they learned what God says they now serve one another and make plans together. One woman said she did not know her husband loves her but now she does. A few men said how they now help their wives at home. They also said that they all neglected and abused their children but now see them as gifts from God. They now know it is their responsibility to teach their children not the churches. I was amazed. These are all Christian leaders and they had no value for their children. They said home is now different and the children are happy. The one couple changed so much that others are coming to them and asking how they can change too! Even a church had him and his wife come and share with them. Praise God! When others see a change in you and want what you have that is discipleship happening. I was thrilled to hear all God has done! Before we left we took a group picture and it was the sweetest thing to see these Ugandan leaders put their arm around their wives. You have to know that touching your wife in public is a big cultural no no. But they did it because they now know God’s way is better -- and others are seeing and believing. Amen!

We had a really bad day in school yesterday -- so bad we didn’t finish the day but waited till Dad got home to give a talk. (That is not what I am thankful for.) But it ended up being such a good teaching day. We got to talk a lot with the girls about obedience, forgiveness, and consequences. The week before we had talked about tough love from the book of Numbers. On our bad day Grace spilled my coffee off my desk. I didn’t get upset but was disappointed and asked her to help me clean it up. She said, “Guess this is what tough love is.” I asked her what she meant and she said you didn’t like that I spilled your coffee but you love me anyways. It is those moments I want to saver. They are learning and God is putting it in their hearts. I praise God for teachable moments.

Lydia also had a hard time doing her school work that day so I decided she needed a thinging cap. I took a big birthday hat and put a sign on it that said "I love to think!" She was so embarrased but it changed her mood and she even did her school work.

I am so thankful for a peaceful heart and joy in my life. I am so content where I am and in all we are doing. So thankful God has made His calling clear and is with us.

We are doing a marriage Bible study with our teammates and I praise God for the work He is doing through it. What a privilege to share God’s Word and see Him make marriage beautiful.

On that note I am so thankful for our team. Things seem to be getting better and better. God is working in all of us. We are all learning to rest in our Father. We also have Fishers here and they have brought us encouragement and wisdom. It has been fun to be together.

I climbed Soroti Rock for the first time with our team Monday morning. I had real mixed feelings waking up at 5:15 but I am glad I went. I love how God speaks when we are quiet before Him. One of our teammates read a Psalm and the words “God’s eyes are on the nations” spoke to me. As we sat on top of the rock watching Soroti wake up, I was encouraged that God watches everyone, everywhere, every day. How awesome is our God! He is in control. I have also been focusing a lot on God as my Rock with all my emotions and thoughts and being on that rock assured me of God’s help. He is God.

On a lighter note, I am thankful for Luka and his success in potty training so far. The other day he decided he could do it standing up and came out all excited cause he made bubbles!

We look forward to traveling to Kampala this week to take Fishers to the airport. May God will you with thanksgiving this week too!

No comments: