Sunday, September 16, 2012

Obulle


September 16

It has been a bit of a crazy week.  The girls and I were back to school this week trying to get as much in as we can before we go, Josh taught three days, we watched our friends kids overnight, I exercised but am having to slow down these days, we got to watch our first football game of the season with our friends, we had no power for a few days for the second week, I have been working on our video for home service (and crazy me began an new one too), Grace was sick, we began packing…  All is well but it is hard to believe we are down to one week in Soroti. 


I asked for prayer for Grace last week as we are in a time of transition but it seems this week Luka is unsure of the change too.  I told him we will fly on a plane soon and he said, “Thanks Mom.”  But by morning he had all his toys packed in a couple bags and later in the week he cried and cried one morning.  I am not sure exactly why he was crying and it isn’t like him.  Maybe he isn’t feeling well, worried about leaving his cousin Moses…?  So be praying for Luka too as he leaves his home and goes to Michigan.

I forgot to tell you, for a couple weeks Luka would tell us his ear hurt and that there was a rock in it.  At first we were concerned he really did put a rock in his ear but we could see he didn’t and that there was wax that was probably bothering him.  Last week he told us again while our team nurse was there so she looked and got the wax out.  Sure enough it was a “rock” of wax!  It was quite something.  So now Luka tells people about the wax rock he had in his ear.

In church last Sunday Lydia began to cry and told me that every Sunday she thinks about her Uncle Steven who isn’t living for the Lord.  She is so concerned for him and misses him.  I told her it is a good reminder to pray for him.  She says she does every week.  We all need hearts that cry over the lost – I know God’s does too.  Pray for my brother and Lydia’s uncle to come back to Jesus.

I decided to do a short video of our pastor’s daughter Rebecca and her life in Obulle.  I went out Tuesday to get pictures and video.  The family was so excited!  We haven’t spent much time at their home but Rebecca loves our girls and her parents attend Josh’s trainings.  I first went to Rebecca’s school then to her home where she cooked, weeded, got water from the well…all for my video.  She did great!  She smiled all the time without me even asking and her English is pretty good so communicating went well too.  I enjoyed my time with their family and Rebecca’s mother loved that I was there. 

So today after church Rebecca’s mother invited us to their house.  Once again they were thrilled to have us.  Their children are very sweet.  Our kids enjoyed it too.  Lydia helped with cooking and went to the well with Mary.  Luka played in the dirt, made branches into guns, and explored.  And they all liked the kitten.  They served us sweet potatoes, peanuts and tea, then cooked pork and posho, and sent us home with more peanuts and a chicken.  And they were the ones filled with joy for that we came.  These people amaze me.

The last six months or so I can’t get the thought of moving to Obulle out of my head (or is it my heart?).  Every time we are out there I am happy.  It is so peaceful and all our friends live there.  Josh is out there so much with ministry and often the kids and I only get there on Sunday.  Although it isn’t far away, the drive still keeps me and the kids at a distance.  So Josh and I have started talking the last couple months and are now praying about if God wants us to move to Obulle.  I am fully aware that the good comes with many changes and hardships (I lived in the village before).  It would mean no electricity, running water, and other sacrifices.  But I would have a team this time and be only 15 minutes from town where I can get things and be with friends.  For now we are waiting on the Lord.  I need to know He wants us there to be able to handle it. 

One of the biggest obstacle would be we would have to build a home.  The thought of building in Uganda is not appealing – at all.  It is not Josh’s thing and would stress him out.  We would want to get someone to help supervise the work if we do it.  But today at our pastors house we saw there neighbors have a “permanent” house that looked really nice.  So we walked over to say hi and check it out.  It just happened to be people who go to the other church in Obulle where Josh preached that morning.  She thanked us for all the good things we are doing in the community.  Her husband is a professor in Kampala (whom Josh has met with) and she worked in a church there for years.  All their children schooled there and live there.  She said the house isn’t finished but they built it 10 years ago.  It was very well kept with a nice yard and several huts.  We did not ask about renting for now but who knows?! 

Pray for us as we pack and say goodbye to our friends here for awhile.  Pray that we all stay healthy too.  Lydia and Grace still have colds and the flu seems to be going around.  Our niece has another staff infection so please pray for her healing.  Thanks!     

No comments: