Sunday, March 20, 2016

Isaac's view

Lydia is a great writer. For Bible one day she was asked to write the story of Abraham sacrificing Isaac from Isaac's perspective. I was once again touched by her thoughtful, expressive and faith filled writing. It is a great way to really think about scripture through the eyes of the person in the story. They were real and so was the emotions.

A hard kind of Trust
Genesis 22
By: Lydia Shaarda


It was a dreary day.  Clouds hung in the air creating a grey atmosphere.  Dad and two servants were saddling our donkey, Hanah.  They placed a bundle of wood on Hanah’s back.  


Yesterday, Dad told me we were going to sacrifice.  I’d gone with him to sacrifice and worship God many times!  And what’s more, he’d always been glad to take me.  But this time something was different.  When Dad told me we were going, he seemed to have to force the words out.  His eyes shone with fear brighter than the sun shows light!


Now, Mom was crying over me and hugging me like the minute she let me go, I would be gone; blown away by the breeze.  I tried, unsuccessfully to pry myself away from her grasp.  She never did this!  Ever!  When we let it was usually just a wave goodbye.


After a time, Dad walked up.  I noticed his cheeks were red and blotchy from crying.  He laid a gentle hand on Mom’s shoulder, who reluctantly let me go.  I was relieved to be away from all the cuddling, but at the same time, wanted to run into Mom’s loving arms like a little child and beg to know what was going on.  Little did I know how scared I would be if I knew what lied around the corner.  


We traveled for a full day before Dad told the servants to wait at the foot of the mountain with Hanah well he and I went to sacrifice.  I heaved the wood off of the animal’s back and followed Dad up the mountain path, confused.  While we trotted on, I picked up enough courage to ask, “Dad, we have the wood and the fire, but where is the lamb  for the sacrifice?”  I didn’t mention that we could’ve taken Hanah and slaughtered her, it was obvious enough that we didn’t have an animal.


Dad sighed, long and hard.  He turned to look into my wondering eyes.  If you could’ve seen his face!  It was the biggest picture of fear, like someone was waiting around the corner ready to kill us and he knew it.  His calm voice I knew for a fact was more fake than the time my friend bragged he had just killed a lion with his bare hands.  “God will provide, son.”


The words kept ringing in my ears.  Even as we built the altar, I continuously looked around, expecting an animal to emerge from the greenery.  


I was peeking in a thick bush, just to be sure I hadn’t heard a sheep, when someone pinned my hands behind my back.  I braced myself to punch a thief.  But, totally to my surprise, Dad was tying my wrists together.  I quickly tugged my hands away, preparing to make a run for it.  The only thing that stopped me was a tiny whisper in the back of head, scolding, This is your Dad!  God commanded you to always honor and obey him, no matter what!


Reluctantly, I moved back over to Dad.  A few minutes later I found myself on top of the altar!  My thoughts screamed so loud I was sure the servants at the bottom of the mountain could hear them.  Look at what you got yourself into!  Why didn’t you run for your life when you had the chance?  Now your beloved Dad has become your worst enemy! You’re going to die!


Tears cascaded down my face as Dad pulled his knife out.  Looking at it this time, it was much scarier than when I saw it on a hunting trip or during other sacrifices.  I squeezed my eyes shut and waited for the quick, but fatal, pain of the knife. Seconds seemed like hours!  I could hear Dad choking out sobs.  I comforted myself, knowing it would soon be over.  Dad wooshed the knife into the air.  Nothing.  Nothing happened.  No pain searing through my body, no blood oozing out and no fire leaping into flames.   


I peeped one eye open.  There at the foot of the altar stood an angel.  “Don’t hurt the boy Abraham!”  The bright and brilliant stranger commanded.  “Now I know you love Me more than anything else!”  He disappeared as fast as he’d come.  Dad and I stared at eachother for a good amount of time.  The bleating of a ram stopped the silence.  I laughed.  It had been a sheep I’d heard after all!

Dad untied me and killed the ram in my place.  Even as we walked down the the mountain an hour later, our eyes were flickering a candle of laughter and tears of joy were splashing onto the path.  I looked looked up at the stars, which seemed to be dancing.  The lesson God had taught me today would never leave me heart!  I’d always trust Him, no matter what!

2 comments:

Karebear said...

Wow! Fantastic! She can really write with creativity and spirit!! I was truly pulled in to the story.

Esther G. said...

Lydia,
You have truely captured God's heart for His people in this story! Thanks!
God Bless you to continue to write!!
Humbled by His love,
Esther Glashower