Thursday, December 22, 2016

Jesus is Coming Again!

Every December UCFM (Ugandan Christian Fellowship Mission), our church, have a annual general conference.  Seven UCFM village churches come together in Obulle for a five day conference.  I admit I don’t always look forward to these things and am often thankful I am not in charge.  I protect my December pretty carefully with only one month to celebrate and enjoy Christmas.  So, a week long conference isn’t usually how I want to celebrate.  Oh me and my lack of faith and negative attitude…  I was happy to pray for everyone, be at home, and visit the conference when Josh was speaking.

I am so thankful God’s plans are greater than ours!  I was surprisingly blessed by this year’s conference.  I honestly enjoyed being a part of it.  I was even torn when I had to be at home to do school, obligations, and visitors.  Although all the usual frustrations and what seems like chaos to us were there, the people here just make it work, go with the flow, and mostly love it.  I have matured in this area over the years and become more patient, flexible, and learned to let their cultural norm not bother me – doesn’t bother them.  I have also become more sensitive to the realities of their lives here.  They come late because they don’t have a vehicle, they are gathering money to hire a vehicle, they have to travel 2 hours…  They don’t have a bathroom with running water to bath in, a stove to quickly prepare breakfast (cooking everything over a fire takes time!), there are always interruptions, people to see them, and sicknesses to attend to.  I am learning to be more grace filled.

Anyways, the theme of the conference was “The Wedding of the Lamb” Rev. 19:6-9.  Monday started late with few people but Josh’s message on “Preparing the Bride for the Wedding of the Lamb” and it was awesome.  He paralleled the Jewish engagement and wedding with what Christ said and did. 
-Jesus chose us and gave His life as young Jewish men went with their fathers to ask a girl to marry her and tell them what he was prepared to pay. 1 Cor. 6:20
-The young man would then take a cup and offer it to the girl and if she drank she accepted the proposal.  Jesus on the last night took the cup of His blood and gave it to us.  Luke 22:20
-The young man would then tell his bride he would go and prepare a place and come back for her when it was ready.  Jesus went to prepare a place for us and is coming back for us. John 2  She was now considered married and preparing herself for her bridegroom to return.  2 Cor. 11:2
-Only the father could say when it was time – when the house was ready and the groom could get his bride.  As with Jesus, only the Father knows the time of His return. Matt. 24:36
-The groom would return for his bride at night with a trumpet to announce his coming.  Jesus tells us His return will come with a trumpet blast.  1 Thess. 4:16  Jesus told the story of the 10 virgins waiting for the bridegroom.  Some were ready and some where not.  The bride and her friends had to be ready as we the church have to be ready.    

Rev. 19:6-9 tells us to rejoice for the Jesus has come!  Chapt. 17-18 all evil is brought to judgement and destroyed.  Jesus reigns!  The Bridgroom has come for His bride and we can celebrate!   Verse
7 tells us to make ourselves ready.  Clothes of righteousness are giving to us (vs 8 and 3:5, 6:11).  Jesus has saved us, but we are responsible to be ready.  We are purified in Christ but am I getting ready?  Does it show in how I live?  How I speak, use my time, money, resources…am I preparing for Jesus coming?  Remove the distractions and get ready!

I was in tears by the prayer time and so were others.  Are we getting ready?!

Monday’s teaching was so good I wanted to be there for Tuesdays on “Inviting all People to the Wedding Feast”.  I would love to tell you about it but it would fill another page.  Basically Rev. 19:6 says a great multitude.  This was a government term for common people.  Rev. 7:9 tells us every nation will be before the throne of the Lamb.  Matt. 22:1-12 tell us to invite everyone!  We need to join the work of inviting.  Invite everyone – good and bad – because it is based on God’s grace.  Matt. 24:14 tells us God is waiting on us for His return.  When ALL hear He will return.

Wednesday our whole family went.  Our kids did a choir to “Joy to the World”.  Emalai stole the show with her singing and dancing.  The people loved it.  Josh gave another wonderful message on

Thursday was my birthday and Josh asked people to write a note to me.  I received 48 notes.  It was a great birthday present.  I was so encouraged!  It is truly empowering when people tell you what you are good at, how they have been blessed by you, and what they see in you.  Many times people talked about how I respect and encourage Josh and love and teach my children.  I am so excited people see this!Lusi, who works for us, said she knows I love God's Word.  Our neighbor said he appreciates that I am open and share pain with them.  I recieved the highest compliment you can give me to know you hear and see my love for God in all I do.  Glory to God!  

Thursday was also evangelism – going out and inviting people to the wedding of the Lamb.  Our kids all wanted to go.  Josh went with Luka and Malai after driving a van FULL of people to their location, I went with another group and Lydia and Grace went with another group.  I enjoy visiting people and people here love it!  We were able to challenge and encourage believers to get ready for Christ return.  I was able to share verses Josh gave all of us before we went out.  It was a joy to share together with Rev. Aneta, Kevin, and several teenagers.  Lydia and Grace came back talking our ears off with excitement!!!  They had a great time sharing God’s Word with people.  Some didn’t want to hear, some listened, and some gave their lives to Christ.  Lydia shared verses with people and both Lydia and Grace prayed for people.  Our neighbor who was in their group said they did a great job helping lead people to the Lord.  The girls were very happy a neighbor girl and a teenage boy who plays soccer gave their lives to Christ.  Praise the Lord!  I was so proud of them and the joy they find in sharing Christ.

Evangelism started way late so we didn’t get to eat lunch till 3pm, but no one seemed to mind.  Forty-seven people in all gave their lives to Christ!


I am bursting with love for the Lord and our friends and church here.  I loved being with them.  I enjoying the meals together, doing ministry together, learning together, being encouraged and challenged by the Word…  I am so thankful to be a part of a body of believers I know, love, and can do ministry with.  God continues to remind me He is coming again and it is so sweet to think about as we celebrate His first coming.  I want to live my life ready.  Together with His church here I will continue to invite and be prepared to celebrate my Saviors return.  Come Lord Jesus, come!

UCFM general conference Dec. 12-16, 2016
98 degrees, windy, dusty, about 300 or so people...
God taught us to be prepared, get ready, and invite people to the Wedding of the Lamb!


Most churches came with choirs so this is our kids doing their "choir" to Joy to the World/Shout for Joy!
The people loved it! 

Nursery?!




Cooking for this group is a HUGE task not to mention hot!
Each church took turns in the "kitchen".  There were lots of dishes too.  This is about a forth of them.
Be thankful for your dishwashers and remember your brothers and sisters here when you use and throw away plates and cups so easily.

Thursday we went out and invited people to the wedding of the Lamb - evangelism.


People here don't run and hid when they see you coming, they love when guests come!
We were able to encourage believers to be prepared for the Lambs return.
Lydia and Grace came back thrilled to have shared the Good News with people and see several receive Jesus - even kids they knew from our neighborhood and soccer.  What joy to see our kids excited about sharing Christ and people saved!!!

My encouraging birthday notes - all 48 of them!



We ended the conference with communion and a time of prayer.

No comments: