Monday, August 20, 2007

May 16 -- Wednesday

You need to be Grace's parents to interpret her some days. She often says, “a boo” which can mean a book, a bug, or a boogie. She got the pictures of A. Rebeka, A. Katie, and the guys and has been saying, “A Babka!” with great enthusiasm ever since (we think she is trying to say Aunt Rebeka). Grace is really starting to talk and knows so many words. She says Ame (Ava lien), banana (hosanna), basket, Bible, I don't know, one more, all done... Every morning we her here from her crib calling, “Daddy, Mommy, Alysia.” She can be such a goof and just makes us laugh to watch and listen to her sometimes.

Sam has been hanging around a lot and we really like him. He cuts our grass for us and we pay his school fees, but he is really just a good friend. He is very social, nice, and trustworthy. The girls love Sam! The other day Sam told us about when he became a Christian his father beat him (maybe tried to kill him) and he had to live with other family since then. I think he was only 8 years old. His father is a drunk and none of them are Christians. I think Sam almost cried telling the story. Such suffering, yet he has held on to God. He has a Heavenly Father who loves Him!

Dennis is a friend of Sam's and also helps us sometimes. Dennis is from near Lulu where the war has hurt the most. His father was abducted and was with the LRA for years. When he finally escaped he was “crazy in the head”. His father is the only other Christian in his family. Dennis has lived in Sorority since the war has been taking boys and it was too risky for him to stay there.

I was asking Sam and Dennis a bit about the LRA. Both of them have seen so much (Sam was abducted for a few weeks and Dennis lived in the midst of the war). They hesitate to talk about details. Sam said that two police men were killed in front of them and they had to look otherwise he would have to kill or be killed. They said the way the LRA kills is not nice. He went as far as motioning that they slit their throats. (I have a hard time even writing about this.) I said it must be very scary and asked if they cried. They said no, if you show fear they will make you kill or kill you. I simply can't imagine the effect of all of this on each individual not to mention a whole nation! There are a lot of hurt people who need healing. Even our guard, Patrick, still cannot sleep at night because of night mares. How does a child get over the evil things he should have never seen? May it is the American way of thinking that these people need to be counseled and have healing? People here sure continue on and look to Jesus. I said to them that only Jesus can heal these wounds and this country. They agreed. The boys don't see an end to the LRA. It is all they know. Their whole life the LRA has had control and has terrorized. I struggle with how to deal with all of this. What is my role, what can I do, why does God have me here? In the US I heard about what is happening and was concerned. But now I live here and these are not just people in Uganda anymore they are my friends. I really pray, somehow, I can be used to bring God's healing. I do know that Josh and Tim are a good model of godly fathers and husbands which is one thing these boys need.

Yesterday we had a new missionary lady over for supper. Josh met her at a shop a few days before. Today Amie Dewie and the kids came for a while. Lydia was thrilled. Thursday we go to Manes' house for supper and Saturday we have a visitor from the UK for supper. What an unusually busy week. Fun!

No comments: